Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Baking Edition: Choco Muffs

Saturday evenings are usually my dedicated baking days since hubs is at work and baby is asleep by then. It's something I try to do every weekend to fill my house with goodies. I love to bake because I know what goes into what treats I'm eating and I can control the amount of ingredients that goes in each baked good. Plus, it's ridiculously therapeutic!

Today's treat is Chocolate Chip Muffins. Just like chocolate chip cookies, there are probably about a million recipes out there that claim themselves to be the best choco muff out there. But you never know until you try. This recipe was adapted from a coworker but I did make some changes to suit my taste. Also, they didn't brown on top as much as I would've liked them to mainly because I forgot to adjust my oven rack so please make sure your oven rack is in the middle rather than the bottom!

Classic Chocolate Chip Muffin
2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips


1. Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners or lightly oil them.
2. In one bowl, add the flour, both sugars, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
3. In another bowl, whisk together egg, oil, milk and vanilla.
4. Add the whole bowl of dry ingredients to the wet bowl and mix with spatula. Make sure that it's mixed just enough to incorporate the wet and dry ingredients. It's important that you DO NOT OVERMIX a muffin batter because it overdevelops the gluten in the batter and comes out very tough. You want your muffins light, airy and fluffy.
5. Now take it to your muffin tray and fill, fill, fill! Typically it's recommended that you fill each muffin cup just up to half or a teensy bit over. However, I like my muffins with a nice poofy crust, so I filled it to the top. It's totally up to you!
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes and then let it cool in the tray for about 5 minutes before you indulge.

This makes about 12 medium-sized muffins.
However, if you only fill your cups halfway, I'd say this makes about 18 medium-sized muffins.

Yuuuuuummmmy.



♥B

No comments:

Post a Comment