Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Healthy vs. Unhealthy

Doesn't it suck to have the urge to smother your face with all types of goodness yet at the same time have that guilty conscience start to kick in.. Don't lie - because it happens to all of us! One of the ways I cope with this is to substitute a known "not-as-healthy" ingredient with one that is better and maybe even beneficial! Don't get me wrong, you can still feast on some of the junk you can't live without but I'd like to see this solution as adding more of a balance to your diet.. and sorry, I'm no health expert but I am simply health conscience and aware of what does my body good!


Can you spot the difference?
This was lunch for my brother and I who I treat like my son. Ironically, he IS the older sibling.. but his little sis knows how to take care of him!! Instant noodles w/ spam and egg (left) and Egg noodles w/ spam and egg (right). If you didn't catch on, the difference is the type of noodles and the broth used. Instant noodles haven't earned the greatest rep in terms of providing much nutrition. Most of its calories are derived from fat, the MSG is extremely high in sodium, preservatives, and simply that they are just a bunch of empty calories! The only upside I'd give for these culprits is that they are super convenient and a great meal to have when you're drunk or hungover ;). My substitutes for the instant noodles were: egg noodles and chicken broth (you can tell by the lightness in the broth)... now that's a healthy way to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment